THE-STORY-SO-FAR: As tangible giveaway promotional items (none were available for sale) - the Coraline Nike Dunks appeared shortly after the launch of the original 50 Coraline Gift Boxes, Other Mother Button Boxes and Coraline Keys, and has since crossed over and focused on the sneaker / apparel lifestyle culture - and exploded. So far, sneakerheads have seen 3 variants of the Dunk - predominantly via it's packaging / box - the most recent one being an uber-limited 15#s in Wooden Boxes worldwide. A full circle it has come, IMHO.
As part of the movie's promotions, a Coraline Nike Dunks Giveaway is currently underway with Custom Coraline Nike Dunk tennis shoes ("AVR" US$150-per) as the sweepstakes-prizes! The contest website states that 2,000 pairs are up for grabs - and to enter, this is what you have to do:
01. GO watch Coraline the 3D-animated movie (heh). Directed by Henry Selick, from a novella by Neil Gaiman and animated by LAIKA. (heh)
02. STAY for the movie's end credits, and look out for special codes. (Singapore screens Coraline only in April, so I can't help ya there!)
03. ENTER that code onto the movie's contest website @ www.coraline.com/dunks (the link brings you to Coraline's Bedroom - click on the box on the shelf next to the main room door). Press SUBMIT and follow the subsequent instructions (which include your shoe size etc). Good luck, y'all!
The contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States (the District of Columbia) who are at least 13 years old at the time of entry. One entry per person (per email). The contest officially begun online on February 9th 2009 (movie premiered February 6th FYI) and will end on March 1st, 2009 at 11:59 p.m. ET. Also note that there is also a Mail-In Alternative Method of participating, without seeing the featured film (which would be perfect for me except that I'm not in the United States! *sigh*). What you need to do is:
01. HAND print your name, address, day and evening phone numbers, email address (if any), age, and requested shoe size on a 3" x 5" piece of paper.
02. MAIL it with proper postage to “Coraline Nike Dunks Giveaway – shoe size (Insert your size),” c/o ePrize, LLC, PO Box 8070, Royal Oak, MI 48068-8070. (Your shoe size will determine the prize for which you are eligible).
03. ALL mail-in entries must be postmarked by March 2, 2009 and received by March 9, 2009.
[Full details in the Official Rules-page]
Above pics are from Sole Blvd showing the Coraline Dunks with Glow-in-the-Dark soles (*cool!*) while shown directly below is from Mark Fatlace from FatLace.com (Source: Sneaker Obsession) - who was one of receipents for the 100 pairs of Coraline Dunks set out by W+K in the beginning of 2009 ~ prior to the movie's premier on February 6th ~ as part of the first "wave" of promotions.
The first wave of Coraline Dunks sent out has seen manic and frenzied activity on online auctions, with auction prices going into the 4-figure mark. But the "sneaker-insanity" had yet to end. The second wave saw a series of 50#s "NIKE X CORALINE DUNK MOVIE PROPS EDITIONS" sent out to online sneakerheads!
Freshness Mag scored a sweet mouse-circus designed/themed shoe-box, with a
pair of cotton candy tuffs! [Peep more images of the shoes on freshnessmag.com]
Ever since news of the very first Coraline Gift Boxes exploded unto the blogosphere [WHAT], folks have been kept on their collective toes for the possibility of more gift boxes. The "Other Mother" started giving out Button Boxes, followed by the Coraline Nike Dunks ... but none had the allure of the original 50 handmade wooden boxes ... until the advent of the third wave of the Coraline Nike Dunks - which saw a new "WOODEN BOX EDITION" housing the custom-Dunks and given to only 15 of the world’s best sneaker boutiques!
In terms of quantity, this edition is the most limited so far, with only 15 wooden boxes - which also included a Other Mother Button Box and a special tagged (and hand-numbered) Coraline Key which was needed to open the boxes. Eddie Cruz of UNDFTD shares with folks the experience of opening Box #3 on his blog [images via].
15 CORALINE NIKE DUNKS WOODEN BOX EDITION:
#1: St. Alfred
#3: UNDFTD (Undefeated)
#9: GDFT (Good Foot) of Canada (cheers to Eugene for the headsup)
THE-QUESTION-IS: Would this see the end of the Coraline-Box promotions? In this incarnation or the next? Would there be more gifting to be had, and will they still go to netizens and www/blog-enabled folks? Stay Tuned, and Stay Sharp, Folks!
[First posted on TOYSREVIL in 2009]